Ford Site Redevelopment
The City has approved a master plan that calls for rezoning most of the acreage for medium- to high-density residential development, as well as a limited number of commercial buildings.
Ford Land, the real estate division of Ford Motor Co., has officially put the company's 144-acre site (two parcels) on the market.
- Deadline given to developers for Ford site proposals (2/12/2018) - http://www.startribune.com/deadline-given-to-developers-for-ford-site-proposals/473815283/
- Just listed: Marketing starts for a developer of St. Paul Ford site (1/4/2018) - http://www.startribune.com/just-listed-marketing-starts-for-a-developer-of-st-paul-ford-site/468072043/
- St. Paul’s former Ford plant site hits the market (12/19/2018) - https://www.twincities.com/2017/12/19/st-pauls-former-ford-plant-site-hits-the-market/
- Planning Commission backs city’s vision for old Ford campus, new neighborhood (7/28/2017) - http://www.twincities.com/2017/07/28/planning-commission-backs-citys-vision-for-old-ford-campus-new-neighborhood/
- Plan for Saint Paul Ford Site Zoning Plan Merits Support - http://www.startribune.com/plan-for-st-paul-ford-site-zoning-plan-merits-support/438617633/
Major League Soccer Stadium
Minnesota United FC, a North American Soccer League team, has proposed constructing a 20,000 seat major league soccer (MLS) stadium at I-94 and Snelling Avenue, as part of a planned and coordinated redevelopment of the entire 34.5 acre site that also includes the Midway Shopping Center (property owned by private landowner RK Midway). The goal is to create a new urban village surrounding the stadium that includes retail, office, residential and public open space uses.
The City committed $18.4 million to new roads, sewers, green space and other infrastructure near the stadium, and the stadium will be privately financed.
Live Stream Stadium Construction: https://www.mnufc.com/stadium/stream
- Soccer stadium's skeleton nearly complete. Next: translucent skin for Allianz Field (5/4/2018) - https://www.mprnews.org/story/2018/05/04/soccer-stadiums-skeleton-nearly-complete-next-allianz-field-gets-translucent-skin
- New Study Shows Optimism for St. Paul's Major League Soccer Stadium (2/17/2018) - http://kstp.com/news/macalester-college-study-allianz-field-midway-neighborhood/4793114/
- St. Paul OKs $4 million more for improvements at soccer stadium site (11/15/2017) - http://www.startribune.com/st-paul-oks-4m-more-for-improvements-at-soccer-site/457852553/
- City council to vote on Allianz Field roads, stormwater — and a ‘Great Lawn’ (11/10/2017) - http://www.twincities.com/2017/11/10/city-council-to-vote-on-allianz-field-roads-stormwater-and-a-great-lawn/
- Minnesota United owner buys last building near St. Paul soccer stadium site (8/18/2017) - http://www.twincities.com/2017/08/18/minnesota-united-owner-buys-last-building-near-st-paul-soccer-stadium-site/
- This is how St. Paul wants to put its storm water to good use (3/22/2016) - http://www.twincities.com/2016/03/22/st-paul-wants-to-put-its-storm-water-to-good-use/
- St. Paul weighing $18 million for Minnesota United stadium infrastructure (2/26/2016) - http://www.twincities.com/2016/02/26/for-minnesota-united-stadium-st-paul-considers-18m-for-infrastructure/
Treasurer Island Center
Called the Treasure Island Center, the building will house the Minnesota Wild's new practice rink, restaurants, a brewery and shops.
- New rink, restaurant and shopping venue nears completion in St. Paul's former Macy's (11/2/2017) - https://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/11/02/planners-stake-downtown-st-paul-revival-on-former-macys
- Wild’s downtown practice facility set for December opening (9/3/2017) - http://www.twincities.com/2017/09/03/wilds-downtown-practice-facility-set-for-december-opening/
- Downtown Macy’s sale price disclosed at $59 million (3/1/2017) - https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/news/2017/03/01/downtown-macy-s-sale-price-disclosed-at-59-million.html
- Former Macy's in downtown St. Paul to be renamed Treasure Island Center (2/27/2017) - http://www.startribune.com/former-macy-s-in-downtown-st-paul-to-be-renamed-treasure-island-center/414893344/
- Tria signs deal for clinic at former Macy’s in downtown St. Paul (2/20/2017) - http://finance-commerce.com/2017/02/tria-plans-clinic-at-former-macys-in-st-paul/
- Police unit, craft brewery commit to St. Paul Macy’s (2/17/2017) - http://finance-commerce.com/2017/02/police-unit-craft-brewery-commit-to-st-paul-macys/
- Minnesota Wild building ice rink on top of old Macy's store (12/22/2016) - https://www.mprnews.org/story/2016/12/22/wild-building-ice-rink-on-top-of-old-macys-store
Hillcrest Golf Course
The 110 acre property – just 25 acres smaller than the Ford site – has been put on the market. A potential development plan may include multi-unit housing, restaurants, retail, trails and a community center.
- Development of shuttered golf course could transform St. Paul neighborhood (Feburyar 25, 2018) - http://www.startribune.com/development-of-shuttered-golf-course-could-transform-st-paul-neighborhood/475057693/
- Hillcrest Golf Club in St. Paul will close; private development likely (July 27 2017) - https://www.twincities.com/2017/07/26/hillcrest-golf-club-in-st-paul-will-close-private-development-likely/
Vacant for 23 years, the former Woolworth building at 428 Minnesota St. in downtown St. Paul is being converted into The 428, a five-level office structure with a rooftop open-air patio. A lunch counter will be preserved and used as the centerpiece of a future coffee shop, which will be open to the public.
- Downtown St. Paul old Woolworth’s will get a new purpose (6/7/2017) - http://www.twincities.com/2017/06/07/downtown-st-paul-old-woolworths-will-get-a-new-purpose/
Climate Action Plan
On Monday, the city of St. Paul will host the first of three community meetings to discuss a potential Climate Action Plan — an organized effort to improve energy efficiency in buildings and homes, increase reliance on renewable energy and lower the city’s “carbon footprint” to nil by the year 2050.
Green Bond Program
The City began its Green Bond financing program in 2015 to fund its annual capital improvement and maintenance projects for the Sanitary and Storm Sewer Utility. The capital projects funded by these Green bonds reduce the amount of untreated sewage and storm water that enter the environment and reduce the amount of clean water entering the treatment system.
The first Green Bond report was published in May of 2016 . The City plans to update this report annually, or until the proceeds of a series have been spent.
Joint Property Tax Advisory Committee (JPTAC)
The Joint Property Tax Advisory Committee (JPTAC) was established by state law. The Committee consists of elected or appointed officials from the City of Saint Paul, Ramsey County, and School Independent School District 625. The Committee is not open for public appointments. The Committee will meet from time to time to make appropriate recommendations for the efficient and effective use of property tax dollars raised by each jurisdiction for programs, buildings, and operations. The main purpose of JPTAC is to coordinate setting policies on budgets and taxation that jointly affect the citizens and taxpayers in the City of Saint Paul who are served and taxed by the three units of government.
Duties of the Committee include:
- Identify trends and factors likely to be driving budget outcomes over the next five years with recommendations for how the jurisdictions should manage those trends and factors to increase efficiency and effectiveness
- Agree on the appropriate level of overall property tax levy for the three jurisdictions and publicly report to the governing bodies of each jurisdiction for ratification or modification by resolution
- Identify areas of the budget to be targeted in the coming year for joint review to improve services and achieve efficiencies
Through JPTAC, an ad hoc sub-committee was formed called the Joint Debt Advisory Committee (JDAC). The JDAC works on cross-jurisdiction communication, planning, and coordination regarding debt issuances. JDAC's goal is to coordinate and monitor the impact of general obligation, property tax supported bonds in the City of Saint Paul.
The Ramsey County Commissioner and Riverview Corridor Policy Advisory Committee recommended a route and a mode of transit for what’s known as the Locally Preferred Alternative. A public hearing will be held on this choice Nov. 9 and a final vote will be held Dec. 14.
- Panel approves St. Paul-to-airport streetcar concept, but much more work to come (12/14/2017) - https://www.twincities.com/2017/12/14/committee-approves-1-4-2-billion-riverview-corridor-from-st-paul-to-bloomington-clearing-major-hurdle/
- The Riverview Corridor just reached a big milestone. So why doesn't it feel that way? (10/13/2017) - https://www.minnpost.com/politics-policy/2017/10/riverview-corridor-just-reached-big-milestone-so-why-doesnt-it-feel-way